Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Homemade Baby Food and Cloth Diapers--just like Mom

I don't remember my mother ever having store-bought baby food in the house. I'm not saying she NEVER used a jar of baby food, but . . . I'm not saying she ever did either. What I do remember is that she had a little food grinder that she used to grind up green peas and feed them to my little sister. Maybe that's why I just can't imagine buying baby food in a jar at the store.

So, my sweet babe is four months old, and I'm anticipating the adventure of solid food (although the adventure won't begin for another six weeks or so). Here is a photo of him, simply because every post needs a photo:



Anyway, I got started reading all of the do's and don'ts of baby feeding, and I'll admit it: I got overwhelmed! I started looking for a good resource and some good recipes for the ambitious cook-it-yourself babyfood mom, and I came across this great website: www.wholesomebabyfood.com and found a wealth of information, as well as some simple recipes to make for your wee one (I just saw 17 Miracles last weekend, and now I want to call him my wee one!). So check it out!

But back to Mom . . . Yes, she used disposable diapers on my two younger sisters, but the first three kids (including me) wore nothing but the finest birdseye prefolds. (Maybe this explains why I was toilet trained at 18 months?) So, when I was expecting, I'm not sure what came over me; but I had the desire to go out and buy some cloth diapers. Not the same ones I wore as a baby, but some fancy schmancy Fuzzibunz diapers. . .

And there they sat nicely in the cupboard . . . UNTIL NOW!

Today I broke out the Fuzzibunz. I'm determined to give them my best shot for a week, and then report on my trial run. Cloth diapers, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment